Thursday, December 31, 2009

Leonids @ Korea 2001 50mm f1.4 Canon T-70 Array ASA 800 - 6 minutes exposure

Tracing the Leonids backward and they converge to a radiant inside the Leo's Sickle



Orion vs Leonid



Canon T-70 6 - Camera  Array -
Automatic simultaneous 6 minutes exposure sequence from x1 command back

    In 1999 inspired by Robert  Mc Naught's  5-camera arrays that I saw in Jordan 1999 I started to look for similar constructions in the web.  The T-70 multiple camera system was pioneered by Robert Haas  from DMS.  The DMS group had been  using this type of set-up extensively in their meteors expedition including this year leonids.

    I was attracted by the automatic nature of the set up - so you can spend more time enjoying the meteors than manning the cameras.  No cable releases were required and the 'command-back' of a single camera will control  other cameras  to have similar  exposure duration and interval  settings.  This model auto rewind too.

   The camera was designed to use little power for keeping the shutter open - a crucial factor for avoiding battery-drain problem in long exposure.  I  have decided by 2001 I will have similar setup ( minus the rotating shutter ) and special thanks to Robert Haas info on the  circuit diagram I finally understand how to link all the cameras together with a 'slightly' different implementation. Two years had gone by and it took me more than a year to obtained T-70 cameras - grabbing them  as they surfaced  on local 2nd hand camera shops.  The special T3 Remote Adapter  is harder to find.  My first trial order ended one was the wrong type ( T3 cable release adapter). They looked almost identical.  I kept it anyway. Just a few weeks before this  Leonid  I  finally  found a source right in Singapore!  By then I had only four T-70 cameras with standard 50mm f/1.8 lens (body+lens cost  US$150). I  needed more  T-70 cameras. Finally I ordered two US and they came just days before my departure. Assembly is easy - I got a plank of laminated pine from D I Y shops, drilled 1 1/4" holes ( 6 camera so 360/6= 60 degree apart).  Secured a ball head($US 10.00-15.00) to the board  with 1-1/4  2" screw.

   Cameras were linked in RING via T3-adapter - mini mic jack - RCA cable ( custom- made US$1.00 each).  The six cables were plugged into a  multiple RCA connectors with  grounds all shorted, and the + shorted. I sat the whole set up on C5+ field tripod. I  also  weigh the whole system and  it was close to 13 Kg! The cameras, tripod  and the 6 ball heads took  up most of the weight.

Result  of the six Canon T-70 Array

Method: Six cameras with 50 mm f/1.4-1.8 lens were mounted in a 'ring' configuration. Exposure and film transportation time is assumed  same over the six cameras. Program sequence is 6 minutes exposure ( ASA800 color film) and 3 seconds delay. The sequence is repeated until end of film. Upon development of the films, visible leonids  are counted vs film number. Each camera had 3  1/2 hours of exposure.  Camera was operated from 17:23 - 21:00 UT

 Result of Leonid Count:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page