Friday, January 1, 2010

Peleng 8mm


APART from doing the Watec 902H video imaging of the Leonids I also tried out fixed tripod wide angle photography.I bought the 8mm Peleng f/3.5 Russian Lens about a year ago and had not done much with the lens. I was curious just how many Leonids could I catch. In addition the distorted view lend another unusual look of the sky. The lens came with a screw mount and Nikon mount.Since I had only one Nikon camera so it ended up in Nikon FM10 - a manual camera. [ unlike the totally unattended operation of pre-programmed 6 Canon T-70s array on my the other setups]   I stood this camera together with another Canon EOS 3000 S.L.R fitted with a 15mm f3.5 lens (both needed a cable release but the latter with auto film rewind) on the same tripod with a super-plate to support dual cameras. The objective of these wide angle lens pairs was solely for recording bright very long trails fireball. When the film was developed in 4R I was not at all impressed. Attempt to use flat bed scanning only introduced ugly mechanical roller mark. Then I ask my photo savvy coworker for help. He scanned the negatives using a Nikon Coolpix scanner at 1350 dpi and the results was excellent. I 'rediscover' my 'lost' meteors.  An example was attached here. The cropped image on the right showed three red color Leonids close to polar star in Camelopardus / Cepheusis border. Clicking the image below for a closer look and spot the leonids. Take a look around the oversize image and you will be amazed by the numbers of meteors  picked up by the 8 mm lens.  In it meteor trains were starting to show on the brighter meteors. There was even a bright red Leonid that get 'framed' by the a enclosed box structure. Many more were found hugging the eastern horizon. On the right edge was the white building that housed BOAO's 1.8 meter reflector.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page